Thursday, March 31, 2011

Spring? and a set back with Jared

Today is B.E.A.U.T.I.F.U.L. It is around 70 degrees. I have windows open to air out the stale winter air. We even walked down to the park.

While walking home from the park, Jared saw Max scootering over to a friend's house. Jared wanted to switch scooters with Max. That was no problem, since Jared was actually riding Max's scooter. Max was on one side of the road, and we were all on the other side. John and I were standing right there. Before I even had time to react, Jared darted right out in front of a car! Luckily the car was able to stop. I know my heart was in my throat, and I'm sure the driver's was too.

I texted Nekolla to let her know. This is a behavior that she has worked very hard on. She is discouraged that he did this. Jared has very little impulse control. He also doesn't grasp the danger that happen. He will take off, but since he knows where he is, he doesn't see a problem. He didn't use to look before crossing the street. If we are at someone's house and he decides that he wants to go home, he will. We have looked into tracking devices, but most of them are only 300 feet. 300 feet nothing, when you have a child that can easily run a mile without stopping. We are still looking for a solution to this problem.

It seems like over the winter, he does better so we think we have mastered that skill. Then the nice weather hits and the behavior rears its ugly head again :(

blog siggie

No comments:

Post a Comment